“Andelslejlighed” – This is the Danish equivalent of shared ownership. It is often referred to as an “andel” or “andelsbolig”. You own your apartment, and the value of it is determined based on the entire value of the building with apartments divided by the amount of apartments in the building.

“Ejerlejlighed” – In this case you have whole ownership of your apartment.

“Lejelejlighed” – Apartments which are for rent.

Properties available for rent in Denmark are normally advertised in local and national newspapers or registered with estate agents. There are also many relocation agents who can help expats to find rental properties, such as Scandia Housing or City Housing (see “Renting” section).

Renting a house or apartment

In order to rent a property in Denmark, you will generally be expected to pay a deposit amounting up to 3 months rent, by bank transfer. Do not pay the deposit by cash, because you can’t prove the the payment if anything goes wrong. Unless you are using a specialist rental agency dealing with short-term lets to expatriates, the minimum lease is generally one year. Furthermore you should note that you often have to pay 2 to 3 months rent in advance, but the agreement differs depending on the landlord. Remember always to read to contract thoroughly.

Purchasing a House or Apartment

Houses are more common towards the suburbs. Many apartment blocks are old and do not have lifts. Ground floor apartments are the cheapest, and the price usually increases the higher you go, with top floor being the most sought after. Many new developments are being built in the Amager area.


Mortgages are available at a competitive rate of interest from the major local and international banks. It is advisable to have a mortgage agreed before viewing properties as sales tend to move rapidly and you may lose the chance to buy the property of your choice.

Requirements for Buying a Property

If you want to purchase a property in Denmark there are certain requirements which must be met.

EU and EEA citizens

If you are an EU or EEA citizen you do not need to seek permission from the Ministry of Justice if you:

  • Are an EU/EEA citizen who receives a salary in Denmark or have an EU/EEA residence permit.
  • Are an EU/EEA citizen who has or will start up your own business, or who has or will establish an agency in Denmark.
  • EU citizen who has a residence permit for a pensioner or for a student.

In this case you only need to give a declaration of this to the justice registration judge (“tinglysningsdommer”). You must declare that the property will be used as a year-round property and not as a holiday residence.

Non EU and EEA citizens

Unless you have lived in Denmark for 5 years you must seek the Ministry of Justice’s permission to purchase a house. You will generally be granted permission if:

  • The property will be used as a year-round property.
  • The purchaser takes permanent residence in the property and registers him/herself to the national register, within a month of the purchase.
  • If the residence permit terminates before 5 years have passed, a copy of the renewal must be sent to the Ministry of Justice as soon as possible.
  • In the application you must enclose a copy of the purchase agreement or the estate agent’s sheet of information, and a copy of your residence permit.

Useful Links

Global Property Guide – https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/europe/denmark/price-history (available in English)

Scroll to Top